Saturday, October 01, 2011

Whatever Happened To The Wii Vitality Sensor?


Do you guys remember back in 2009 when Nintendo announced it was working on a new peripheral, dubbed the Wii Vitality Sensor? I somewhat do. I mean, I wrote a What If on the damn thing. But whatever happened to the little sensor that got no love? I think it might have been mentioned at Nintendo's E3 2010 conference (I honestly have no idea) and it seems that the peripheral has completely fallen off the face of the earth. So what happened to it?

Looking for answers, I stumbled onto this article in which Iwata told investors that the Wii Vitality sensor has a lot more work and perfection ahead of it because they were shooting for a reading accuracy of 99%. I can imagine the difficulties in producing a highly accurate biological sensor at a cheap price and at a profit. Other than that, there's still been no mention of actual possible uses, and developers don't seem to be interested in the thing either. With the Wii U on the horizon, I really don't think the Vitality Sensor will ever be released before the Wii U hits the market next year. If anything, Nintendo will carry over most of their work to the Wii U and eventually release some sort of skeleton application for the Wii.

Actually, now that I think about it, if the Wii U controller will allow for peripherals of its own, the Vitality Sensor could probably have more success and better accuracy as a Wii U exclusive peripheral. A less-cheap Vitality Sensor would also be more expected of a console that is expected to cost more than the Wii did at launch, but be competitively priced against the 360 and PS3. So what will be the ultimate fate of this device? I have no idea, but it seems like it might just die off at any moment since Nintendo never mentions it anymore.

No comments: